Monday, October 23, 2006

Motorcycle blues

So we got a bike! Now I'm 900% more likely to be severely irreversibly injured before I return to the safe peaceful civilisations of the West. (nb fictional statistic). Had practiced a bit just on my little alleyway street before taking it out on the road over the weekend when traffic is lighter than the week and now I'm fairly confident (though Hanoian traffic is mad). Yesterday we saw You, me, and Dupree (this great Vietnamese film, really) and had super good food called bun cha (noodles on one plate, and then a bowl of minced pork and pork filet/bacon in soup, and then a second plate with greens you put into the soupy concoction that is the pork and noodles). So anyway it was awesome. And at lunch on a Sunday it was rammed full of Vietnamese families and the like (no whities) so that was cool, getting in touch with our inner Vietnamese. At night we walked around Truc Bach lake (just where we live) and had dinner at another awesome restaurant, this time Indian food (with a cheesy name-- Foodshop 45). But yea Sunday night is like a weekend night here (much as I thought of it when I was in primary school) so the cafes all put out loads of tables and chairs along the lake and everyone comes out for picnics and dinner, etc. very cool.


Two days ago we saw Maria Full of Grace at the UN Population Fund film festival and the director, Joshua Marston, was there so was very cool to see him and speak to him as I'd already seen the film but it was really good. anyway halong bay tour awaits!!

No comments: